Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Friday, November 8, 2013

Presidential Taste

One of my favorite pastimes is presidential history. While in Fremont, Ohio, in October, I had occasion to visit the home of President Rutheford B. Hayes. They had just done a $1 million renovation inside to bring several rooms back to their original splendor. Pictures weren't allowed inside, but I shot these of the Hayes house while waiting for my brother to arrive for the 3:30 p.m. tour, where we were joined by two sisters driving from Chicago to Boston on I-80. They dropped into town just to take in the place.

The house in Spiegel Grove, a huge park filled with large trees and endless walking space. Hayes is buried on the grounds with his wife and horse.

I sat here awhile and thought great thoughts on the benches. What a porch!


And the view!
Again, the View! Great time of year to sit on the President's porch.



No comments:

Post a Comment