Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Friday, November 8, 2013

My Home Town

I recently spent most of a week in Fremont, Ohio, visiting family and enjoying the full colorful spectacle of an eastern autumn. It's a small town of about 16,000, built by pioneers with great taste. They've left us dozens of great monuments, especially beautiful churches and public buildings.

When I grew up this was the county jail, blackened with soot and dark as coal. My brother helped organize a cleaning and burst of adaptive reuse that turned it into offices for the county commissioners.

Built in 1890.


The Sandusky County Courthouse. Dignified.

Pioneer history in the park out front of the courthouse.

Classic. Built to last by ancient founding father Lutherans.


Another Lutheran Extravaganza just blocks away. Grace Lutheran. 

Catholics were no slouches, either. This is St. Joseph's. Less than a mile away is St. Ann's, also built of red brick. Both beauties and speaking to the high aspirations of the county seat of Sandusky County.  While I was home it occurred to me that there are literally thousands of small
American towns with this kind of architecture. I don't have pictures of the houses, but the whole town is filled with giant old two-story's, many of them kept up, many struggling and selling for less than $100,000. Great place to visit, town of my father's people and cemeteries filled with my relatives.




No comments:

Post a Comment