Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Best Western in Wine County

Normally, I am not one to fawn over hotel architecture so when my wife booked us for a Best Western (near the freeway) in the Sonoma County wine country last weekend I don't think I had the planet's greatest expectations. But what a lovely surprise to overnight at Healdsburg's BW Dry Creek Inn. (Check out the YouTube video).

I love good outdoor rooms and this hotel had two. We strolled about after breakfast enjoying the ambience as staff set up for a working day's events and conferences. It was just the two of us, but I easily imagined the pleasure of a big family or group of friends drinkingwine by the fireplace in these outdoor rooms, kids running free and laughs all around at familiar family and friend stories. It definitely had a feel-good quality about it - and what better can you ask of thoughtful architecture? 

The atmospherics were Tuscan. In the midst of beautiful California wine country in April we indulged the feeling -in this unexpectedly tasteful Best Western just off the freeway.







Whimsical furniture



Wine themes in the pedestrian walkways


Latin inscription outside, which, if my high school Latin is still reliable, means:
 "There's wine. Drink up."


No comments:

Post a Comment