Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Deck the Walls With Creeping Fig

Several years ago my wife planted creeping fig on the side of our house and gave a whole new dimension to typical beige suburban stucco. It's a pain sometimes to trim and keep in shape, but the beauty is awesome. She's really got a knack for that.

Downtown today, I gazed at the same designer tactic in a commercial setting. Here below is the same creeping fig covering an entire side of the Clarion Hotel. It really gives the place a flair of downtown classic that it might not have otherwise. 





















And here below is the city parking garage across the street. I remember it being built when I began working in downtown Sacramento in 2001. Now look at the place a decade later, covered in Ivy. It's picking up that leafy Sacramento ambience.

(Incidentally, as I took these pictures a guy walked up, starting chatting me up and showed me a driver's license from Canton, Ohio. Then he started a story about being here because somebody in the family died and what a nice city, and his three kids were in a car nearby and they didn't have money to eat because somebody was wiring him money in 24 hours. Ironically, I went to high school in Canton, Ohio. I did a dance in my head, ready to pull out $5 and give him the benefit of the doubt. Then I remembered that I've heard varying versions of this story for years. I just didn't trust it. I felt a little guilty and left to get back to work. More than you wanted to know from a site about architectural design, I know. Nice day for a story, though).




Some city worker has to trim this to keep the parking sign showing. Great city.


AND here is our look at home:

Just trimmed at the beginning of November. Note ladder, soon to put up Christmas lights:

No comments:

Post a Comment