Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Autumn Light

After a long summer in California, autumn is here with the sun low on the horizon and the light soft and special. For several days now in late October, I've noticed the 5 p.m. twilight shades of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral as I come through the trees walking toward Regional Transit's Cathedral Square light rail stop. Simultaneously, the bell tower chimes five times, creating a sense of well being and beauty in the city at the end of another day in the office.



The cathedral is an historical gem in downtown Sacramento, built by Irish Bishop Patrick Manogue who had worked as a laborer in the mines of the Gold Rush. He built a treasure within shouting distance of the state Capitol building, which is a beauty in itself. 



I was a bit early for my Meadowview-bound train so I took some shots of Blessed Sacrament while I waited. I've talked before in this blog about church designs often being symbolic of our highest aspirations. This classic example of California's cathedrals proves it well.






No comments:

Post a Comment