Travels and Meditations On Our Built Environments From California's Capital City, Sacramento

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Life At The Speed of Walking




I like to walk and look at things. I'm just coming off a week of vacation in which I walked miles on neighborhood trails near my house and miles more on wilder trails through the Consumnes River Preserve, a wild bird sanctuary about a 10-mile drive from home. Last year I bought a hiking pole from REI, and it takes me slowly down the trail (where oncoming people appear initially to think I am blind).

I feel fortunate to live in a time and place when planners are designing more walking into our neighborhoods. Cities throughout Sacramento are big on trails and thankfully, developers bought into it during the housing boom. I've had homebuilders tell me people in adult communities want trails now more than they want golf courses.

Sacramento is extremely proud of its acclaimed American River Trail, which hugs the riverfront for more than 30 miles from Folsom to downtown Sacramento.

I remember as an early 20-something living in Fort Wayne, Indiana, hearing a colleague yearn for the West. He said, "I want to live in a place where people put on hiking boots just to go to the drugstore." That makes me smile 35 years later. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment